This week I decided to try and make some smoothies as a nice and healthy alternative to artificial fruit juices. I am hoping to create some different flavoured smoothies over the next couple of weeks but the first one that I tried out is Blackberry and Apple flavoured. I will admit that I made this up as I went along…but the outcome was pretty tasty.This recipe is also suitable for vegans.
So to start with you will need 500ml of almond milk, 150g of blackberries, 2 tablespoons of oats, half a small apple and a teaspoon of honey. You will also need a blender to make these smoothies.
- Firstly, wash and prepare your fruit. Dice the apple into small squares.
- Set up your blender, I used the Cooks Professional Mixer and Blender. Pour in the almond milk and then add the blackberries. Blend on a low setting for one minute.
3. Once the blackberries have completely blended into small pieces, add the diced apples. Blend for a couple of minutes until the apple has softened and there are no large chunks.
4. Next, add the oats. This helps thicken the mixture and also adds a nice texture. Blend for a couple of minutes until all the oats are incorporated in the drink.
5. Now it’s time to add a bit of sweetness to the mixture. Add one or two tablespoons of honey and then give it a blend. Have a taste and add more if you feel it is needed.
6. The smoothie is now ready. I poured mine into a storage jug which is really handy when making drinks like this, you can get them cheaply in places like Wilkinsons or large supermarkets. This one has a clip and lock spout so you can pour it out of the jug as well as keep it safely contained.
Now all you need to do is chill the mixture in the fridge and serve when required. I hope you enjoy them! Xx